As you read in my last post I recently came down with a virus/sickness/migraine thingy. Anyone who knows me well (or follows me on Twitter) will know that although I’ve had lots of practice, I am a big wimp when it comes to being ill. Have you seen that episode of Big Bang Theory when Sheldon is sick? Yea that’s me. I am very prone to self pity and sadness. In order to cheer myself up last week I made a list of all of the things. I thought you might appreciate me sharing this list here so you can steal some ideas next time you’re ill.
Things that make me smile when I’m sick:
- Getting sympathy. Thankfully, God has given me a husband with a lot of patience and compassion so he’s happy to dole out cwtches* and sympathetic nods of the head on request.
- Getting some perspective. The antidote to the above. Being sick makes me self-centred, I need to be reminded that there are much bigger problems in the world than my migraine.
- Watching movies. One night P treated me to renting a movie online so that I had something new to watch. We picked Brave, a Disney Pixar animation. Doctors should prescribe Pixar movies, they’re that good.
- Learning something new, however big or small. I wasn’t able to be very productive last week, most of the time I just sat there moaning because everything I tried seemed to hurt my head. I did, however, learn some healthy new recipes on Pinterest (follow me here) and find out about Smash books (watch out for a post about this soon).
- Didi. Just anything to do with my cute ball of fluff. Well, pretty much anything anyway. While I write this she is sleeping on my lap and making sweet noises out of frustration when she is disturbed by my typing. What a cutie. There is actually research now that proves that petting and interacting with animals can help patients recover from a whole variety of illnesses. My doctor friend told me that in a hospital in Bristol they actually let a charity bring dogs on to the wards for patients. How amazing is that?
- Having a bath, especially if there is a Lush bath bomb or bubble bar in it. Although baths completely sap my energy, the warm water can be exactly what I need to get me to a point where I am relaxed enough to fall asleep. Plus, waking up clean and smelling nice always has a feel good factor.
- Clean pjs and bed sheets. The perfect end to a bath. You can’t beat that smell of fresh linen.
- Candles. Yankee candles are my favourite, they smell so good!
- Pink flannel pjs. Comfort and my favourite colour.
What makes you smile when you’re sick?
Love Katie x
*Cwtches- if you’re not Welsh you probably have no idea what this word means. Think of a hug but a million times better.